4 de noviembre de 2007

What am I doing in Mexico?

I love that part in Three amigos when they realize El Guapo is not an actor but a real criminal and is about to kill them.

Lucky: It's real.

Dusty: What?

Lucky: This is real.

Ned: You mean...

Lucky: Yes. They're going to kill us.

(All three start whimpering)

Ned: WHAT AM I DOING IN MEXICO?!


***
I'm working at a Brazilian rodizio-style restaurant. I work here as a chashier. In a technical sense my job is to process all the money that comes from the customer to the restaurant, but as in any job and for my learning I regularly do other functions. I don't enjoy all of them, but they are needed experiences nonetheless.
There are usually between 30 and 45 staff, and I get along wonderfully with most of them, I am very happy to know them. The others, I just don't have enough contact with to make a good connection/judgement, but I'm sure they're good folk.

A restaurant is a great place for me to work at, because I happen to be a foodie. The brazilian gauchos (ga-OOSH-os) grill and parade around all kinds of meats and fish, and the best part is that they often allow me to re-sample because I dont want to forget the flavor, and I think I can do my job better if I have a fresh memory of what our customers come here for. ;)

Also the salad bar is such a sourch of joy. It has such a varied, semi-exotic, gastro-licious array of dishes. My latest favorite is the calamari salad.... mmm...

My Portuguese has gone from a 2% to about 20%. So happy!

No hay comentarios: